Thursday, November 28, 2019

"Thanksgiving Musings"

The thing I like about Thanksgiving is that I just have to show up.  Everything's so easy.  On Passover, I have to preside over the Seder.  Today, it's "Would you hand me the gravy?"

Even the dessert choices are easy.

"I'll have a little of everything."

And then there's the nap.  Which I practice on a regular basis, so when the time comes, I'll be fully prepared.  I don't really need tryptophan.  But I pretend that I do.

One thing I am truly thankful for is this blog.  Without it, I'd be monitoring my body, wondering,
"What's that?"

I do not say this enough - or perhaps ever - but I want to thank you for being there, and actually coming back more than once.

I'm not sure if I would.

And I know the writer.

As - as in my habit - I don the traditional fake Indian headdress, I acknowledge the American Indians who saved the Pilgrims' by teaching them to grow corn.  Without them, we'd be celebrating Thanksgiving in Europe.

At least we appropriately repaid them.  No wait.  We didn't.

I do not know about the future, except that I'm slated to be old in it.  Today, easy-peasy.  I give thanks, and head straight for the table.   

Sorry, turkeys.  In the "National Bird" contest, you came in second.  Which is lucky.  Not for the turkeys, but for us.

Flip of a coin, and we're eating roast eagle with all the trimmings.  (And thank you, Stan Freberg.)

And that's it.  Short and sweet.

I've got a lot of nothing to do, and I need to get started.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

And to all, a good nap.

 



5 comments:

Wendy M. Grossman said...

Happy thanksgiving, all.

wg

JED said...

We have a Communion Service at our church the night before Thanksgiving and last night, our minister said that it is better to give thanks "to" instead of just "for". Being thankful for what we have is good but we need to give thanks to the source of those things and I think that makes it more personal. What we're thankful for didn't just happen.

So, in keeping with that, Earl, I am thankful to you for this blog. You have started my week-days on a good and thoughtful note for over a decade. I pray for another decade and more.

Stephen Marks said...

I take it you're not having Canada Goose

Mike Barer said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Aaron said...

Happy thanksgiving!