Monday, September 2, 2019

"Happy Labor Day"

It's an interesting concept, celebrating Labor Day by not working.

We don't celebrate Flag Day by not waving a flag.

We don't celebrate Christmas by ignoring Jesus's birthday.

But on Labor Day, honoring the toil of an admirable workforce,

We avoid labor completely.

I'm not sure I get that.

But I want to respect the people who do.

I once walked through a parking lot towards a ball park while they they singing the National Anthem, and I felt physically endangered by the move.

I do not want to risk that again.

So as much as I'd like to work today,

I am taking the day off.

Not wanting to hear this holiday's threatening version of, "That guy didn't stop."

Happy Labor Day, everyone.

Enjoy honoring work by not doing a thing.

If it makes sense to you, it makes sense to me.

2 comments:

JED said...

Earl said, "We don't celebrate Christmas by ignoring Jesus's birthday."
That's not what I observe around us.

Happy Labor Day. Not that I really labor at work. But I'm taking the day off, too.

FFS said...

The way things are going, Labour Day may become a thing of the past.