Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"Stubborn"

I was thinking about writing a series of blog postings entitled, “Why I Don’t Want To Watch The Shows I Don’t Want To Watch.” Unfortunately, I can’t seem to get to it.

You see, in order to write a series of blog postings entitled, “Why I Don’t Want To Watch The Shows I Don’t Want To Watch”, I would have to watch the shows I don’t want to watch.

And I don’t want to.

I could force myself to watch the shows I don’t want to watch, so I could write the series of blog postings entitled, “Why I Don’t Want To Watch The Shows I Don’t Want To Watch.” I could just tell myself, “Do it!”

The thing is, if I force myself to watch the shows I don’t want to watch, I would not know for certain if I don’t want to watch the shows I don’t want to watch, because I don’t want to watch the shows I don’t want to watch, or I don’t want to watch the shows I don’t want to watch, because I‘m forcing myself to watch the shows I don’t want to watch, so I can write a series of blog postings entitled, “Why I Don’t Want To Watch The Shows I Don’t Want To Watch.”

The coercion would prejudice my perspective. You see.

I have a feeling it would be interesting for me to watch the shows I don’t want to watch. Watching the shows I don’t want to watch could provide me with an illuminating insight concerning the shows I don’t want to watch – which would include almost everything currently on the air, from culinary shootouts to The Real Wives of Poughkeepsie – clarifying to me – and to you, if I wrote a series of blog postings entitled, “Why I Don’t Want To Watch The Shows I Don’t Want To Watch” – exactly why it is that I don’t want to watch the shows I don’t want to watch.

Are they boring? Are they stupid? Are they tasteless? Are they offensive? Are they derivative? Are they formulaic. Are they just plain terrible? Are they a waste of my rapidly diminishing time on this planet?

Why don’t I want to watch the shows I don’t want to watch? I could learn something about that.

There’s something else that might happen as well. By watching the shows I don’t want to watch, I may learn that I’m mistaken about some small percentage of the shows I don’t want to watch. It could turn out that I actually want to watch them.

Unfortunately, the process of discovering this tiny number of shows I don’t want to watch that I actually do want to watch would require me to wade through the vastly greater number of shows I don’t want to watch, which, after watching them, would confirm my original decision that I don’t want to watch them.

I could do it anyway, I suppose.

But I don’t want to.

There is also the option of writing a series of blog postings entitled, “Why I Don’t Want To Watch The Shows I Don’t Want To Watch” without ever watching the shows I don’t want to watch.

But I can’t see that being very interesting.

Or fun to read.

Or write.

So I won’t be doing that.

Truth me told, there’s a part of me would like to write a series of blog postings entitled, “Why I Don’t Want To Watch The Shows I Don’t Want To Watch.”

Maybe I will some day.

When I don’t not want to do what I’d have to do to write a series of blog postings entitled, “Why I Don’t Want To Watch The Shows I Don’t Want To Watch” quite so badly.

I just wanted you to know I was thinking about doing it.

And if you want me to, I will.

5 comments:

Neal... said...

The word 'watch' has now lost all meaning for me. Is it even a word? It no longer sounds right.

But I have a question about the shows I think you do want to watch -- I seem to remember a while ago you said you thought season 2 of Modern Family was disappointing. I'm in Ireland, so behind in terms of broadcast, but I'd have to agree. It started really quite weakly, but got better, yet still hasn't reached the heights of series one.

I think the problem is they don't know what to do with Cameron and Mitchell, and the improvement over the season has come when they've just been sidelined into having their own storylines that don't have the crossover with the rest of the family that the best of the show has. They seem to mainly be doing Niles and Frasier cast-offs now.

If you agree, do you think it's because the writers are struggling to write a convincing gay couple? Or are there only so many stories that can be done for parents with a small child?

Or has the quality of season 1 just made it impossible to meet expectations? I think if the season 2 had come before season 1, I'd be raving about it, rather than picking.

Or is it something else entirely?

Or have you changed your mind?

Sorry, that took longer than I expected. I'll let you get back to not watching the shows you're not watching.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I would love to read the series "Why I Don’t Want To Watch The Shows I Don’t Want To Watch," but would be equally happy reading a series of "Why I Don't Post the Things I Might or Might Not Want To Post"

YEKIMI said...

My mother would not watch a show because she didn't like the actor or actress in it. She would say "Well, I can't stand him because he/she were evil when they were on [insert name of show here]. I'd tell her "Mom, they were ACTING, that's what actors do! They could be as funny as hell and a sweet person on this NEW show" MOM: "I don't care, I can't stand them now!" It's people like my mom that are the reasons actors get typecast.

MikeAdamson said...

Naa, don't bother.

Alexander said...

This is the 4th entry I read on your blog and you are consistently brilliant. You have been bookmarked.