Friday, November 29, 2019

"Requiem For A Lexus"


Yesterday was not my best day.

I donated the car I don’t drive anymore to charity.

Yesterday morning, they came and hauled it away.

The number 27 comes up twice here. 

I had owned the vehicle they drove off for 27 years.

And  now, for the first time since I was 27,

I do not own a car.

I remember when I bought my ‘92 dark green, two-door Lexus SC400.  I had given my old car to Rachel – who required it for college – so I needed a new one.  I had also signed the most lucrative contract of my career. 

I decided to treat myself to a luxury vehicle.  No Bentley, but “up there.”

I recall my hand shaking as I wrote out the check.  And how upset I was when the salesman pressed me hard to buy snazzier hubcaps.  (I almost called off the deal.  Paying that much for the car and now he wants more?  I mean, there’s extravagant and there’s stupid.  The “standard” hubcaps looked fine.)

For a while, I did not use it that much.  My new deal included a driver.  (Though I suspected his salary had been deducted from my contract, my “Gift Driver” thereby “gifted” to me by me.)

I took great care of my Lexus.  Regular tune-ups.  Fixing the “dings.”  Repainting the scratches.  That car had more layers than a Da Vinci painting.  (Look it up.  He did layers.) 

It was my car.  And I insisted it look perfect.  (Not for me.  It drove better “pristine.”)

When I was crashed into at the dealership parking lot, though the company’s inducements on a “replacement” were generous – because they crashed into my car – I steadfastly said no. 

It spent four months in the “hospital.” 

When it was ready, I was waiting.

Then the DMV said, “Time for a test.” 
And it was downhill from there. 

Let me be clear here.  I have never driven “for pleasure.”  I don’t even know what that means.  (I imagine the driving equivalent of Homer Simpson’s “Ooooh, donuts.”)  But with a car especially that car – I had comfort, I had convenience, and most importantly,

I had freedom. 

I came and went as I wanted.

Now, it’s Lyft.

My rides dependent on cell phones and strangers.

My legs felt anchored to the porch as I watched it it rolled onto a truck that held cars I knew my car was better than.  Maybe all car donors feel that way.  They’re wrong, but God bless ‘em.

I really thought I was ready.  But when they drove it away,

It hurt.

27 years is a long time.

And now it’s no more.

“It’s a car, Earlo – a hunk of metal, with wheels.  Get over it.”

I will.

But not right away.

In lieu of a picture, an accompanying song (with a nod to “Pinocchio”):

“I’ve got no wheels to drive around
To carry me all over town
I once had a lovely car
I got no wheels no mar.”

(Last word sung in a seafarer’s dialect.)

4 comments:

Wendy M. Grossman said...

I suggest a bicycle.

wg
PS: the obit you wrote for your 27-year-old car is a *lot* shorter than the one I wrote when I had to admit my 23.5-year-old Nissan Prairie was dead.

Aaron said...

🙏

frank said...

Neil Young's ode to old car "Long May You Run" would've been fitting farewell.

Loosehead said...

On the driver thing, the expression is "bribed with your own money". Lot of it about at election time.