Thursday, February 25, 2016

"Booster Shot"

Every day I try to write simply.

And every day I fail.

I almost changed that sentence to “And every day I invariably fall short.”  And in that last sentence changing “I almost” to “I came ‘this close.’”  Further consideration may well have produced “I felt a powerful pressure…”  If only for the alliteration. 

So you see what I’m up against.

All three of those options would have been fine.  (I came “this close” to saying “adequate”.  And, upon further consideration, “acceptable.”)  But all three are not equally simple.

I shall summarize the reasons simplicity is so hard to achieve.  (Or “so difficult to pull off.” Or “such an elevated bar to surpass.”)  I’ll do it fast, ‘cause very little of this makes me look good.  (“Reflects my personal attributes in a positive perspective.”)

Why the anathema to simplicity – AKA – “Too many words” or – more finely still – too many syllables?

A Partial List:  (or delineation)

I want to be accurate.

I want to be colorful.

I want to be evocative.

I want to be “perfect.”

I want to be memorable.

To name just…

I want to be idiosyncratically stylistic.

I want to be admired and respected.

I want to look smart.

… eight reasons…

I want my writing to have “weight.”

I want to extend my hold on your attention.

I want to stretch out this effort so it will appear more significant.

… okay, eleven reasons why it’s difficult to write simply.  (Or “… why writing simply is an virtually unreachable objective.”  Or “… why writing simply’s faced with challenging impediments.”)

One of which – arriving belatedly to the litany – is that I may also be a soupcon overeducated.

For me, the only antidote to overwriting is the reminder:

“Don’t do that anymore.”

And that reminder is wrapped most often in the lyrics of a song. 

Which, if it’s lucky, will be accompanied by a compatibly simple arrangement.

Close your eyes, and listen to this song.  (You may have to go on YouTube to hear it, but it is well worth the exertion.)

And then answer me this:

Is there anything in it you would change?

That’s when they got it right.  (In this case Cindy Walker and Eddy Arnold.)

When you wouldn’t change a thing.

The repeated reminder: 

Keep it simple.

These guys did it.

And look how it turned out.






2 comments:

Kim (Holder) Brown said...

I've just read your 2009 'To Sir With Love' and I've left a comment. Was a pupil at St John's and you've just taken me back to my very privileged youth in the not so privileged (so they say) Kilburn. πŸ˜†

Kim (Holder) Brown said...

I've just read your 2009 'To Sir With Love' and I've left a comment. Was a pupil at St John's and you've just taken me back to my very privileged youth in the not so privileged (so they say) Kilburn. πŸ˜†