Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"Summer Times - An Introduction"

The first time I went to camp – when I was nine years old – I had no idea I was going.
I got on the bus to bring my older brother something he’d forgotten, the doors closed and I went to camp.

For eight weeks. Fifty-six days, if you’re counting. And I always was.

I returned to the same camp every summer till I was twenty-one, and one last time when I was twenty-three. If you’d have asked me then, I had have said that I never liked it. So why did I keep going back?

Canp Ogama was named after Indians, though I’m not exactly sure why. I imagine someone just liked the sound of it. It sounded much better than Camp Lieberman, which was the name of the original owners.

Camp Ogama was a place where parents paid substantial sums so their children could leave home for the summer and enjoy living conditions considerably worse than they were accustomed to. (Don’t ask me. I don’t get it.)

Though some campers stayed for four weeks, the majority went for eight. Back then, it was quite normal for children as young as six years of age to be shipped off to a sleepover camp for two months. Today that would be considered child abuse.

My brother started going when he was six. Me – no way. I had checked the place out during Visitors’ Day, when we visited my brother and brought him a salami.

I didn’t care for the place.

There were no bathrooms in the cabins. The Boys’ Washhouse was on other side of camp. You got there by walking through a forest, along a path, braided with gnarled roots and tree stumps you could trip over. The forest was also generously stocked of animals. All making for an unappealing trip, if you needed to “go” in the middle of the night.

Your alternative was “going” behind the cabin, in the forest, where, as I’ve mentioned, there were animals. Raccoons, skunks, the odd bear. In addition to swarms of mosquitoes, who were instantly drawn to the exposed body parts of urinating children.

The washhouse itself was no bargain. It was hardly what you’d call clean. There was no hot water, only cold. (I didn’t wash my face for fourteen years.) And my favorite: the bathroom stalls had no doors on them.

(The walls boasted some graphic anatomical illustrations, accompanied by humorous graffiti. One memorable message read: “I aim to please. You aim too, please.”)

Camp food was not to my liking, meaning they picked it, I didn’t. Over the fourteen summers, my commitment to only eating food that wouldn’t make me gag, caused me to lose well over two hundred pounds. If I hadn’t gone to camp, I’d be weighing in the high three hundreds today. (Back home, I ate a lot of cookies, and my primary exercise was changing TV channels with my toes.)

In later years, I started bringing two sets of clothing to camp: July clothing, and August clothing – the same wardrobe, but in a smaller size.

(My camp eating behavior is the prototype for the contrast between the way other people deal with negative situations and the way I do:

Everybody hated the food. But I was the only one who didn’t eat it.

To me, it’s a matter of consistency. If you really hate something, how can you…I don’t get it. But then of course nobody else needed two sets of clothing.)

What else didn’t I like about camp? Again, it’s a control issue: Everything was scheduled, and not by me. Nine A.M., there are ice caps on the lake – the schedule says, “Swim Instruction”, and in you go. It’s a hundred and five – you want to go swimming. But the schedule says, “Lacrosse”, so you grab your lacrosse racket and you faint on the field.

It didn’t make sense. And I was never shy about saying so. Did it make any difference? Not a bit.

My biggest problem about camp: No television. All year, television was my life. I almost never went outside. This was the opposite. Camp’s almost entirely outside.

I was a total stranger to the place. I’d go out, and “Outside” would go, “Who’s that?”

(On my counselors’ days off, I’d ask them to bring me back a TV Guide, so I could see what I was missing. I’d sit on my bunk, mopily leafing through the listings while humming the theme song from Have Gun Will Travel. Do I need to mention that I didn’t have a lot of friends at camp?)

No television, no personal control, nothing I could eat but Wonderbread, no friends – shortly, you’ll hear about the time my cabin mates tried to hang me – the bathroom was half a mile away, and there were very few activities I could perform without hurting myself, embarrassing myself, falling down or drowning. Is it surprising I wasn’t real happy?

There was nothing there I enjoyed.

And yet…

Everything I’ve become, both personally and professionally, has its origins in Camp Ogama. It was camp where I was first identified as a writer. I hadn’t a clue myself. I just thought I was a guy who couldn’t catch.

My obsession with fairness? Pure Camp Ogama. It certainly wasn’t something from home. Living with an older brother, the lessons there were more along Darwinian lines.

Camp inoculated us with a passion for justice. And it wasn’t “write a check and see you later”; this was “money where your mouth is.” Our head counselor would later become the head of the Civil Liberties Union for the province of Ontario, a very large province. My counselor was later appointed ambassador from Canada to the United Nations (though there’s a chance he taught us a song with African lyrics which may have been entirely made up).

Our experience was more than sitting around the campfire singing,

“The banks are made of marble

With a guard at every door

And the vaults are stuffed with silver

That the miners sweated for.”

We did that too, but the message was branded on our consciences, because our leaders kept hammering it home. Once, when a thunderstorm kept us indoors, instead of reading comics listening to Belafonte, we were enthralled by an audiotape our counselor had made from the middle of a school integration demonstration in Little Rock, Arkansas. Innocent Toronto children, sitting in our cabin with our mouths open. You could hear the seething hatred on the tape.

Even the “fun” activities weren’t delivered message-free. Once a summer, the camp would stage a multi-day camp-wide program. It was like a “Color War”, where the campers were divided into four teams and we’d square off in various competitions.

In our case, however, instead of the teams being called “Red”, “Blue”, “Green”, and “Yellow”, the program always involved a theme, like the “Hungarian Revolution” and the teams would be the “Workers”, the “Farmers”, the “Students” and some other guys who were unhappy with the way things were going in Hungary.

The programs ended with a pageant, dramatizing the issue, which was always intolerance, and driving home the message, which was always “Stop doing that!” I acted in all the pageants. Once, I played Ghandi, on a hunger strike. It was type casting. With my resistance to the food, I was the skinniest kid in camp.

While appearing in the pageants, I was required to learn haranguey speeches with big words in them, like “totalitarianism.” I had no idea what that meant, and I could never remember it. So I took a marker and I wrote it on my arm. Unfortunately, being nine, I had short arms and I wrote big. I wound up writing “totali” down one arm and “tarianism” up the other.

There are no secrets at camp. With everyone aware of my situation, the audience began laughing the minute I started reading my arms. This was hardly in keeping with the somber concentration camp ambiance of the scene.

I know this all sounds Left Wing, and I’m sure it was. Not that our parents sent us there for indoctrination. They just wanted us out of the house. The ideology was the product of the passionate commitment of the politicized staff.

Though I was never political, I did become highly sensitized to the issue of fairness, which you have likely found reflected in my writing (and will in the future). I hardly consider this a partisan concept. Fairness isn’t an exclusively Left Wing idea. Is it?

Camp Ogama went beyond preaching. They put their tolerance into action.

Every summer, we’d have at least one camper amongst us who was deaf. This was no accident. Statistically, the camp population was small enough to be deaf-free. But Camp Ogama wouldn’t hear of it. (Sorry. It’s my training.)

The camp’s staff wanted us to be comfortable around people who were different. (That’s probably why I was invited.) One camper – maybe out of the frustration of not being able to hear – had this suppressed volcano quality – there was always the danger he would blow. You wanted to be friendly, but you had to be ready to run.

Was Camp Ogama’s setting aesthetically beautiful? I have no idea. Kids don’t notice that stuff. To me, it was dusty when it was hot, freezing when it was cold, muddy when it was raining, and odiferous when people decided to forego the washroom experience and “go” behind the cabin.

It might have been beautiful. Sitting at the edge of a glassy-smooth lake, surrounded by spruces and pines and maples and birches, it might have been spectacular. I’ve only been back once – a few years ago, when my brother and sister-in-law and I snuck in during the off-season. It just seemed empty. And, like when you go back to your Elementary School, a little small.

But still very special.

That was my camp.

And if it’s okay with you, I’d like to tell you about it.

Let me know if it sounds interesting.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, very interesting. Wouldn't it be fun if July was "two posts a day" month? At least one or two days each week. Don't tell us which days, though, I love the rush of disappointment.

Anonymous said...

How is it that on second reading, your stuff just gets more and more hilarious? You're a gifted man.

Anonymous said...

"Let me know if it sounds interesting. "

Yes, indeed.

C. Miller

Anonymous said...

Happy Canada Day!

And yes.

More! More!

The Minstrel Boy said...

yes, it is interesting.

my summer camp was the cantelope fields.

Missives and More said...

Being a fellow camp goer from age 7 -17, I would love to read another "Summer Time" post.

Anonymous said...

I believe that you could write about the phone book and make it funny, interesting, and thoroughly entertaining. Yes, I would love to read about camp. Mostly I spent my summers in the fields, picking strawberries, raspberries, and then cucumbers. Made enough money to get to choose most of my school wardrobe.
Hard work, but I remember it as fun. And a good learning experience since we were often mixed in with the migrant workers and a work release crew from the local mental hospital.

Anonymous said...

First, you need to put this stuff in a book. You're as gifted a writer, story teller and humorist as David Sedaris (currently #1 on the NYT best seller list). Second...wish my summer camp experiences were as rich as yours. My memory is getting beaten up by fellow campers. After bears ripped our tents to shreds, sniffing out the food I'd hidden in my duffel bag--in violation of camp rules.

Anonymous said...

Hey Earl,
I am the youngest of eight kids, a big Irish Catholic family. Even my mother who was Jewish was Catholic, too. So there was always something to feel guilty about.

We weren't at the poverty level, but we didn't have a lot of extras. Like a car, for instance. We worked in the summers (babysitting, caddying, newspaper routes, etc.)

My two cousins from my mom's side went to camp everyear. This was on top of having a dishwasher AND a pool at their house. (Above ground, but still.)

We got a lot of hand me downs from them. I guess it was kind of the in thing to have your name on your t-shirts. I loved my cousin's old Snoopy t-shirt--except it said her name, Amy, on it. That kind of ruined the pleasure of having the shirt, because people thought that was MY name.

My cousins went to camp each year, which meant I got Amy's outgrown red shorts and t-shirts (which had little Thermoses on them, for some reason). Going to Catholic school, of course I wore a uniform when I was in school. But I was amazed that you would have to wear a uniform to go play. Did you have to wear a camp uniform????

Zeide said...

Earl, I too went to Ogama from 56-65
starting as an Inky and on to CIT.
I remember you and your brother very
well. The stables, the CL, the pumphouse etc bring back the best memories. Thanks, Harvey

David Shaw said...

Hey, Earl! It's me ... David Shaw ... the token goy A&C guy who painted sets at night with my girlfriend (and actually got them painted) back in the late 60s ... once almost lost my guitar to a skunk while wandering along a camp path at night ... and I swear Phil Ennis and I saw a UFO close up one night (though Phil denies it categorically). So when was Jerry Sternberg there. My wife's best friend's daughter is married to his son, Arlen. L'chaim (turns out I wasn't a goy after all), Duvi

Anonymous said...

God bless Joe Goldenberg!
I was fortunate enough to participate in one of Earl's musicals at Camp Ogama. I remember my lines till this day.

Camp Ogama... "Meatballs" on steroids!

Rob Vann said...

Hi Earl
I worked as a tripper at Ogama in 69 and 70. With Steve Wahl and Phil Ennis.. Sandy and Joe Goldberg..
What year were you there?

Rob Vann
NS Canada

Rob Vann said...

Hi Earl
I worked as a tripper at Ogama in 69 and 70. With Steve Wahl and Phil Ennis.. Sandy and Joe Goldberg..
What year were you there?

Rob Vann
NS Canada

Rob Vann said...

Hi Earl
I worked as a tripper at Ogama in 69 and 70. With Steve Wahl and Phil Ennis.. Sandy and Joe Goldberg..
What year were you there?

Rob Vann
NS Canada

Anonymous said...

Eric said:

I also was a reluctant attendee of camp Ogama for its last four years and then a fifth as Camp Winnebago.I was the youngest of four non Jewish, first generation German Canadaian kids. Talk about pressure... maybe Joe decided to try something different than the deaf child experience.

My mom worked in the kitchen so I was fortunate enough to have free "range" of the kitchen and extra cookies at my whim.

I grew to love the place and attribute all of my positive characteristics and athletic abilities to those Fox Lake summers. So much so that I have a cottage on Lake Vernon 2.5 miles away. One sister and one brother also have places near by.

I too sneak in during the off season and remember every path and fondly recall sitting on the piano at the back of the CL on July 20th 1969.

Thx for the reminder Earl.

marion said...

I came across your blog about camp ogama and laughed because its all so true. I went to camp ogama and I was there in the years you and your brother were. I remember standing on stage in the rec hall and forgetting my lines and you were behind the curtain whispering to me. You were always very funny. Having left Toronto years ago I wished I had gone to the reunions. I still have my camp sweatshirts and pictures. It was wonderful reading about ogama but I didnt realize how much I loved it til years later. Thanks for writing.

Irv luftig said...

Hi tweeners. I had all 10 of my first loves at ca,mp ogama !!
Judy Rosen , who was a foot taller than me . Next was Tova Urbas , and then Laila Merkur , Oni Freeman, Joanne Berg, and the highlight , the girl from kitchen staff , down at the ski docks until I got caught by Chuckie Resnick and Lorne Honickan !! Steve Polevoy and Jeff Wilson were the best counsellors. I met a lot of people who I am still close with today . Steve Rosenfeld, who I share a practice with , Micky rosenthal , and so many more. ogama was a wonderful , life enhancing and life changing experience, and it was so great seeing everyone at the reunions. When is the next one ?

Irv Luftig 1962 -- 1971

Anonymous said...

There was indeed hot water in the wash house at Ogama. And, ca. 1964 washrooms in every cabin. God love Ya! The horseman, as Vina Aroma, called me. P.B.E.

Zeide said...

The best of years 56-65 summers at Ogama. I remember many counselors, including some of the best ever. Ephry and Mel Merker, Bernie Green, Rickey Green, Joel Goldenberg. I remember the wash house, the CL (where there was some heavy sex going on), the stables with Fred Quebec, Vino, Ernie and Marty Rubenstein. Haskell and Phil Beale, You and your brother Hartley. Al Borovoy, Eddie Boglamony and many more. My "first" love was there as well but no further details forthcoming. . I can still remember our camp song. "We're having a wonderful time and Camp Ogama. A wonderful time that we will not forget..... etc. Thanks for the memories. Harvey Stein

Zeide said...

Still the best summers of my life. Camp Ogama 1956-1965

Unknown said...

At the start of Covid year #2 I found this Earl Pomeranz memory. I am an old guy now, but my younger Ogama self lives on.
'Til we meet again".
Stephen Green

Joey Silver said...

Dear Earl,

I went to Camp Ogama in 1965, 1966, 1968, and 1969.
In 1967, when I was 10, my family went to Israel for the 2 months,
flying there a week after we won the 6 Day War.

I don't know which years you were at Ogama, but in my time,
EVERY cabin had a washroom and even a washer and dryer at the back of the cabin.

Re. the Leftwing indoctrination: A camp cook taught us "The Peatbog Soldiers",
the song of Communist prisoners in the Nazi Concentration Camps,
and we'd sing it in the Dining Hall when it rained.
I loved that song, along with "Kumbaya" and other songs I now know as "Progressive" [sic].

I loved the beauty of Camp Ogama.