Monday, December 30, 2019

"Musical Interludes 2"

This is another song that was included in my one-hour special aired on CBC Radio sometime in the early seventies.  Before 1974, because after that I was here.  Starting on April the twelfth.  (I just mistakenly typed "Startling on April the twelfth."  I guess because it was startling I got here.

I have loved Randy Newman since the beginning.  But he was not popular is Canada.  When I went to Sam The Record Man and asked, "Do you have the new Randy Newman album", they said no, and, as if any Randy would do, they said, "We have Randy Bachman."  (Who I believe is from Winnipeg.)

I somehow finally got the album.  And numerous albums after that.  (I was at the concert where he introduced both "Short People" and "Rednecks."  That was some explosive to-do.)

I like a lot of Randy Newman songs.

But this is the one that I chose.


2 comments:

Dave said...

I'm a fan too. From the Tom Lehrer school of musical satire.

JED said...

Another example of not needing a beautiful voice with a large range to be a good singer. Sometimes it's the thought behind the words and the feeling (or whimsy) you put into the words that makes it great.