Monday, August 2, 2010

"Quote of the Day By Someone Who's Smarter Than I Am, But Who Has, On Occasion, Been Known To Think Along The Same Lines"

I’m on vacation. While I’m gone, I’ve enlisted the services of a substitute, a dead guy named William James, who said many very interesting things, many of them reminiscent of things I’ve said, or things I might have said, if I’d thought a little harder, instead of turning off my brain and watching a ball game. Some of them I might actually say in the future, when I’ve forgotten where I heard them, and think that I actually thought of them myself.

Every day while I’m away, I will offer for your consideration one William James quotation. Maybe two, if I’m feeling generous.

From the one hundred and six quotations that I found when I Googled “Quotation By William James”, I have selected the quotations I agree with. The ones I disagree with, or the ones that are a little too preachy sounding, I have left out. It’s summer. We don’t need the aggravation.

Enjoy the quotations. Let them rattle around in your brain and see what comes up.

In the meantime, I’ll be in Michiana, hopping back and forth across the street:

“I’m standing in Indiana. I’m standing in Michigan. I’m standing in Indiana. I’m standing in Michigan.

Do I know how to have fun, or what?

Okay.

William James Quotation Number One:

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

Awright, William!

-------------------------------------

I just noticed I have thirty "followers." When I started, I had three. Thank you, "followers". I feel very humble.

2 comments:

lttuerk said...

love this!

Anonymous said...

Prejudices rearranged and now laughing. I don't believe that Mr. James is smarter than you, Earl.