Friday, June 18, 2010

"The Blessing of a Fertile Imagination"

Variation on an old joke:

“All those who have never been told that they need to get a colonoscopy take one step forward…. Not so fast, Pomerantz.”

And so it begins.

So what begins?

I don’t know.

I can’t know.

But with the blessing of a fertile imagination,

We’re off to the races.
------------------------------------
I realize I have now brought you two personal health stories in one week. I'm sorry. It's just the way they came out. Health issues are the natural focus of an aging blogger.

It's what we think about. When people my age get together, we can't go five minutes without discussing medications, illness or an injury. It would be funny, if it weren't not funny. It's probably funny anyway.

This dominating focus in understandable. At my age, any medical encounter can be "Lights out." Our only protection is our attitude. Unfortunately - See: Above - mine can race dangerously out of control.

I'll do my best to keep a lid on things. But I'm not making any promises. My body needs to cooperate.

Here's hoping it does.

4 comments:

JED said...

The procedure itself is easy. The doctor and nurses have the disgusting part. For you, the hardest part will be the preparation. Get some good reading material and try not to think about food. And if you do your preparation well, you'll make it less disgusting for the medical team.

Steve Skinner said...

I agree with JED, the procedure is a piece of cake, so to speak. Besides, they knock you out so you don't have a clue as to what's happening!

Gary said...

it's not funny.

A. Buck Short said...

Maybe I'm misreading this, but how is it possible this is your colonoscopy rookie year? I've already hit the trifecta. We'll leave it to others to share their own universal cleansing potion nausea memories. And you can selfGoogle the top 500 (or whatever) "colonoscopy cwipps" every GI explorer has already heard 5,000 times.

What I'd like to share is a recent experience involving my wife's colon. No, relax, that's not where we're headed podner. Our insurance provider found a loophole that gets them out of having to pay the endoscopy center for their share of my wife's colonoscopy in 2008. Here's how I explained the situation to her: "The insurance company is trying to do to the doctor what the doctor did to you two years ago.